Sunday, January 20, 2008

Now: Various Artists!

I have always wondered when people answer the question "So, what kind of music do you like?" with very specific answers. Answers like "strictly golden oldies songs for me please", "definitely, not the present day crap", "rock only rules" etc. etc.

When people ask me this (I don't get this asked too often, now that I am married for quite a while though :P), I am a bit confused. Now, don't think that I am a die-hard music enthusiast, who sleeps/eats/drinks/lives/[insert every other emphatic verb/adverb] music. I like my music in small doses when I like it.

It was just today morning that Pi put on this nice marathi CD, the song was "Kevha Tari Pahate" and it made me get out of my bed and listen attentively to the melodious tune. Or it can be "Fast Car - Tracy Chapman", this was the first English song that I liked. Or it could even be Usher, belting out "Yeah, Yeah" or "Let it Burn". It could even be Linkin Park, Jagjit Singh, Pearl Jam, KK, Khare-Kulkarni in any random order and varied doses for me.

Ok, so the point I am trying to make is why people want to straight-jacketise themselves and declare that they like a specific genre only? I don't know about others, but I kinda like my taste - spread over, diffused, noisy, melliflous, headachy :)

People care to enlighten me on why they prefer a specific kind of music? Till then I am cruising on my Fast Car singing -

"You got a fast car
But is it fast enough so you can fly away
You gotta make a decision
You leave tonight or live and die this way"

2 comments:

Alistair D'souza said...

hey welcome to the blog world :-)

my music tastes vary too... depends on a lot of things...

NikhilS said...

Hey Alice! thanks man :) yup according to me, the taste should vary, if it does not, you are Narrow :)